fbpx height of gokhale chair. | Gokhale Method Institute

height of gokhale chair.

Elizabeth C
Elizabeth C's picture
17 hours 3 min ago
height of gokhale chair.

I am trying to decide between the standard and the tall Gokhale chair.   20.5 inches max seat height of the standard sounds like it might be not high enough for working at a kitchen table.  But the tall option only goes down to 19.5, so I'm worried that it might be too tall for some tables?  (18" - 25 would be my ideal range but not available)

Is the seat height listed the tallest point on the seat? (so it will go lower as we stack sit in front?)

I know I can add books on any chair to test the height, but it doesn't simulate the slope in front and the prongs to rest feet on.    So any insight as to what fits what height person?    I only have Esther to compare to when she demos the chair in the video.  How tall is she, and does she have it raised all the way?  

Aurelia Vaicekauskas's picture
12 hours 42 min ago

Hello LK,

I haven't worked with the Tall GM Chair. I reached out to our GM Institute and Jon replied with this: 

The standard chair with the standard gas lift is recommended for anyone between 5 feet and 6 foot five inches. In this students case the best thing for them to do is to measure the height of the work surfaces they intend to use the chair at. If the height of the table falls within the range of the standard gas lift then they would want to order a standard gas lift. We do not recommend stacking books on the seat in order to gain height. If the chair is too high the student should instead raise the seat to the appropriate level and then use a foot ring or books in order to allow their feet to sit flat. If the student purchases a standard chair with a standard gas lift and finds that it does not work for them, we can exchange the gas lift for a small or tall gas lift based on their preference. 

Hope this helps,

Aurelia