fbpx Spine sticks out | Gokhale Method Institute

Spine sticks out

alisab
alisab's picture
9 years 7 months ago
Spine sticks out

Hi,

I have been trying the various postural changes but am finding stretch sitting the most difficult / painful. I am quite slim and my spine sticks out from my waist up to my neck. Resting my back against anything other than a very soft cushion leaves me with a very sore back from having bone resting against solid surfaces. 

Is there a way to stretch sit that accounts for a spine that sticks out?

Thanks

2amysmith's picture
Teacher
1 week 1 day ago

Hello Alisab-

I am glad that you have been practicing the stretchsitting porcess and I am sorry to hear about your pain.  If it hurts back off is the general rule.  You may be right that it is due to the fact that you are slim.   And my guess is that it is a combination of factors.  Probably doing too much stretch, back off a bit and go for a smaller stretch for a shorter time period.  Are you using a Gokhale Method stretch seat cushion?  It is OK to pad your chair with soft fabric.  Try less stretch, softer fabric and possibly the Gokhale Method cushion.

Good luck,

-amy smith

penwell.robyn
penwell.robyn's picture
Teacher
3 years 10 months ago

I agree with my fellow GM teacher, Amy.  Put a soft blanket on the back of your chair to comfort and cradle your spine where it protrudes. Try using visualization when you Stretchsit: inhale and imagine that your torso is soft, relaxed, and stretchy like taffy or marshmallow fluff (or whatever comes to mind!). Exhale and lengthen your torso, settling gently into your blanket.  This focus on "soft and stretchy" will help get rid of unnecessary tension that may be leaving you feeling stiff, irritated or sore.  Be soft on the inside and prepare a soft landing!

Best of health,

Robyn Penwell, GM teacher

Sacramento, CA