fbpx Is stretchlying possible on a floor / hard surface? | Gokhale Method Institute

Is stretchlying possible on a floor / hard surface?

dan0001
dan0001's picture
6 months 3 days ago
Is stretchlying possible on a floor / hard surface?

I have been sleeping on the floor for the past few months - a blanket and pillow on top of carpet. I have always been a stomach sleeper, but recently learned that is bad so have been switching to side sleep (I find it impossible to fall asleep on my back, which I now suspect is due to lumbar tightness). I tried stretchlying last night just before going to sleep but didn't feel much, I wonder if it's because I cannot actually "hook into" the floor with my elbows, since it is firm? Either that or I was just doing it wrong, I plan to try again. I am not keen to go back to bed sleeping so hopefully it's possible for me to do this on the floor.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

25 min 36 sec ago

Hi Dan,

Yes, you can stretchlie on your back on any surface. Although harder surfaces may require additional pillows/padding for complete comfort. If you aren't getting great traction with your elbows, try pushing with your palms at the same time. Do you mean you didn't feel much stretch? This is what you want --- going for a gentle stretch over several hours is better than a strong stretch.

Hope that's helpful.

Warm wishes,
Tegan Kahn, Gokhale Method Teacher, Canberra Australia

dan0001
dan0001's picture
6 months 3 days ago

Yes that's helpful. Thanks.

I see you are from Australia. Do you mind answering my question about chairs here? https://gokhalemethod.com/forums/stretchsitting/76214

25 min 36 sec ago

My pleasure. I've just posted in the chair thread.

Warm wishes,
Tegan