fbpx Good chair for stretchsitting? | Gokhale Method Institute

Good chair for stretchsitting?

dan0001
dan0001's picture
6 months 2 days ago
Good chair for stretchsitting?

I'm Australian, so can't get the Gokhale chair. Currently have a secret lab chair which is absolutely awful for posture and doesn't work for stretchsitting. Also have no seat at home available to me that I could modify - they are all designed to force you into bad posture. I've looked at Officeworks for some chairs but all seem to either have contoured / concave backs and seats, or too much cushioning / lack a firm backrest. The folding chairs for example have contoured backs and also have a posteriorly tilted seat which raises the knees over the hips.

Of course, I could just buy a stool, but I have heard that stacksitting is not recommended until you have eliminated any swayback / lordosis - which I have. I previously thought it was anterior pelvic tilt, and constantly tried to tuck my pelvis and flex my abs hard to "normalise" my posture, but after discovering Gokhale I realise my problem lay further up in the lumbar spine. My back sways and my ribs flare out (more on one side might I add), making it look like I have a belly despite me being lean enough to have a six pack.

Does anyone know of any good chairs for stretchsitting, preferably in Australia? Willing to buy online if necessary. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

13 hours 30 min ago

Hi again Dan :)

You're absolutely right --- it is very difficult to find a chair that supports J-spine sitting. It is possible to get the Gokhale Chair to Australia through MyUS.com (although the shipping price is steep!). If you happen to be based in Canberra, I can order it for you.

The next-best thing I've found is this IKEA folding chair coupled with a Stretchsit cushion (happy to post one to you), but there is not much padding for your bottom!

Warm wishes,
Tegan Kahn, Gokhale Method Teacher, Canberra Australia 

dan0001
dan0001's picture
6 months 2 days ago

Hey Tegan,

Thanks for the information.
Is it possible for you to post the Gokhale chair? All good if not.

13 hours 30 min ago

Hi Dan,

Apologies for the slow response - I have been caravanning in North Queensland for the school holidays. If you're not based in Canberra, the cheapest way to do it is to create your own MyUS.com account. They will give you a US mailing address that you can then give to the [email protected] team when you order the chair. 
Best wishes,
Tegan

dan0001
dan0001's picture
6 months 2 days ago

I see, thank you.