fbpx Rib anchor | Gokhale Method Institute

Rib anchor

wsjulz
wsjulz's picture
12 months 1 day ago
Rib anchor

Hi, 

When I anchor my ribs, it feels as though I am bending forward a lot, and although my mid back flattens nicely, I'm creating a big hunch in my upper back.  It also can feel as though my pelvis is tucking backwards again.

Do you have any tips to find the "correct feeling" for this?  It is difficult to relax in this position, and to keep my pelvis in the correct position at the same time.

Thanks smiley

Teacher
3 hours 52 min ago

Hello!

It sounds like you are on the right path.  Once we engage our rib anchor, it can be dismaying to realize that there is some rounding in our shoulders that we could not see when we swayed.  Mindful, slow shoulder rolls, making sure to keep the ribs anchored as you do them, will help keep your upper back from rounding forward too much.  You may need to do some daily stretching of the shoulder area if it is tight.  As for the tucking, it sounds like you are unwillingly engaging rectus abdominis, the superficial abdominal muscles, when you engage your rib anchor.  That is a common tendency - it requires practice to learn to isolate the rib anchor muscles.  I highly recommend taking a Foundation Course with one of our teachers, as they will help you make corrections and can spot some of these errors that are hard to see for oneself.  123 Move, the daily online class, is also excellent for working on all these moving parts.  Hope this helped!