fbpx Sciatica | Gokhale Method Institute

Sciatica

Glorious Mym
Glorious Mym's picture
2 years 9 months ago
Sciatica

Hi team, I live in Australia and I am a HUGE fan of Esther's method, having discovered her last December in a Well Being magazine. I have travelled to Tassie to meet Michelle Ball and I am determined to take the Foundation Course when planets align (I live 4,000km away from Michelle!).

Here is my question: I suffer from severe sciatica pain in my left leg due to herniated disc at L5/S1. I have been following the book exercises and DVD as well for the past 3 months and things are improving but I wonder how long till I am pain free like Esther? Thank you for your reply. Kind regards, Myriam

Teacher
12 hours 39 min ago

Hi Myriam – Thanks for writing! Your great enthusiasm and desire to learn really come through in your post.

The answer to your question is, unfortunately, that no one can know how long it will take for you to be pain-free.  There are a myriad of different factors to consider for each person who has what may seem to be a similar condition.  Each person’s healing journey will be uniquely their own. 

Have you considered additional therapies? I have seen many people with sciatica do quite well with acupuncture and/or chiropractic.  Therapies like these in addition to the Gokhale Method can often help with the healing.  Here’s an example: I have one student who had sharp pains at L5-S1 and sciatica beginning in October 2016.  She took the Gokhale Method Foundations Course during January and February and found some relief with Stretchlying and other techniques.  But her healing really amped up when she added weekly acupuncture treatments.  Now at the beginning of April 2017, she has no more low back pain and the leg pain continues to diminish.  Her chiropractor took an x-ray recently and noted that her degenerated disc had regained height, compared to an x-ray from June 2016.

That story is about a particular person, and you are experiencing your own story of healing.  I hope you will be persistent in your practice and that you will be able to take the Foundations Course soon.  Having that personal attention from a teacher will ensure that you are getting all you can from the Gokhale Method techniques.

Best wishes for your healing journey –

Doreen Giles

Gokhale Method Teacher

Glorious Mym
Glorious Mym's picture
2 years 9 months ago

Hi Doreen,

Thank you kindly for your answer. I have had acupuncture treatment over the past 6 months but it is hard to tell if they have helped or not. There are no good acupuncturist in my town and I have to fly 450km to get to the nearest capital city to have treatment; no easy feat with work and the cost of airfares in regional WA.

I have been following an osteopath and still am and that has helped greatly. 

Thank you again,

Myriam