fbpx Recliners | Gokhale Method Institute

Recliners

LindaKay
LindaKay's picture
2 years 10 months ago
Recliners

What do I need to look for in a new recliner? Do you recommend Lift Chairs (Recliners)?
- Linda

Teacher
16 hours 20 min ago

Hello, Linda -  Have you read the 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back book or taken the Foundations Course?  If so, you have a sense of the J-shape spine that we teach, and you'll want to find a recliner that supports you easily in that shape and in stretchlying.  Some recliners as they go back actually put a stretch in your low back, taking the pressure off of the discs or inflamed areas. This can be really helpful when someone needs that extra help while recovering from a back-pain episode.  

You'll want to avoid a recliner that puts you into a shape where your upper back is rounded, or your lower back is swayed, rounded or compressed, or your pelvis is tucked, or your head is pushed forward out of alignment with your spine. If you need to, you can fix many of these issues with some extra padding with a towel and/or the Stretchsit Cushion.  

A lift chair is certainly a big help for those who need it.  Just make sure that when sitting or lying in the chair, you can comfortably maintain a J-spine shape.  Apply the principles you've learned in the class or from the book (i.e., maybe some Inner Corset) as you get out of the chair.

Something I love about the Gokhale Method is that once we learn the principles, we can apply them to just about everything we do.  Thanks for writing!

Doreen