fbpx So what is the kidney bean shaped foot? | Gokhale Method Institute

So what is the kidney bean shaped foot?

proprioceptivel...
proprioceptivelycuriouschris's picture
6 years 9 months ago
So what is the kidney bean shaped foot?

I bought the book, and I'm really confused on what the kidney bean shaped foot is...is the book saying that I looking to have most of my weight be on the heels and side of my feet, vs the inner soles and front part of the feet? And then try to shorten the distance between the front part of the foot and the heel? 

Janine Farzin
Janine Farzin's picture
Teacher
2 years 1 month ago

Great question - the kidney bean shape is working to restore the arches of the foot.  Yes, putting more weight on the heel of your foot versus the front of the foot is a big part of it. The weight would be balanced through the rest of the foot to restore the transverse and inner and outer arches - not necessarily more weight to the outside as you mention.  However (and this is a big IF! :), if you have collapsed inner arches (which is quite common) this might actually be correct for you personally - to put more of the weight than you have been used to on the outside of the foot.  

Are you near to any of our teachers?  You may consider an initial consult to have a teacher evaluate your feet, as well as your standing posture.  Even a free workshop might provide an opportunity to grab the teacher for a moment afterwards to clarify this for you.  We teach kidney bean shaping in lesson 1 of our Foundations Course, and we refine and build on this concept through Lesson 5 when we teach gait and walking.  Best wishes!