fbpx Tallstanding... more like Sitstanding | Gokhale Method Institute

Tallstanding... more like Sitstanding

noaht
noaht's picture
10 years 2 months ago
Tallstanding... more like Sitstanding

So I've been following the Gohkale Method on and off now since 2009 and the first time I tried stacksitting I got immidiate relief. However, I was never able to quite master tallstanding. I even attended a free workshop where it was (sort of) explained to me in person. 

For the last 5-6 years I've experienced a significant amount of pain in my sacrum from standing for any period longer than a few minutes. 

Last week I converted to a standing desk from IKEA and had an epiphany... I bent my knees just a tad and allowed my pelvis to sag somewhat. WALA! I figured it out. The trick is to not just have soft knees, but to actually bend them a tad (I guess it's the same thing DUH) almost like you're preparing to sit on a stool. 

All of the weight and pressure has transferred from my low back/pelvis to my legs and feet and man do I feel a difference. I can literally stand for hours without pain and just like stacksitting, the results were immediate. Also, my knee pain is starting to dissipate as well. It's a bit of a strain on my leg muscles but I trust it's because I've been standing wrong for so long, they're probably weak.

Anyway, just thought I'd like to share this little tidbit with everyone.

Peace

-Noah

mihneam
mihneam's picture
1 year 1 month ago

Hi Noah!

Thanks for sharing!

How are the leg muscles after getting used to tallstanding with your knees bent? Did they get in shape and can now accomodate hours of standing without fatigue or not? I am starting to apply the technique myself at my standing desk and am currious if it works.

Thanks a lot,

Mihnea

penwell.robyn
penwell.robyn's picture
Teacher
3 years 10 months ago

Hi Noah,

I'm glad to hear of your "ah-hah!" moment.  I would have to see you in person to be sure, but it sounds like you achieved a pelvic drop by bending your knees and found anteversion?  Having too much bend in your knees would be unsustainable, so I hope you haven't over-shot.  Truly it is most helpful to seek out a trained Gokhale Method teacher who can guide you into healthy Tallstanding position.

Best of health,

Robyn Penwell, GM teacher

Sacramento, CA