fbpx Bad and Dangerous Shoulder Rolling? | Gokhale Method Institute

Bad and Dangerous Shoulder Rolling?

craigfisher256
craigfisher256's picture
5 years 11 months ago
Bad and Dangerous Shoulder Rolling?

If you exaggerate the shoulder roll, is it possible to set your shoulders [or clavicle, other bones, joints, ligaments, etc.] too far back or something?

I ask because I've been having recurrent neck/throat irritation for months.  The irritation is kinda like a scratchy feeling in the front of my throat, and I no longer think the problem is strictly in my neck.  I think it's the shoulders.

This irritation makes it painful to stretchsit for too long, and it makes it nearly impossible to fall asleep.  I've tried many neck positions, but it's usually only when I let my shoulders unroll-and-hunch that my throat feels like it's loose enough that I can sleep.

Cecily Frederick
Cecily Frederick's picture
Teacher
2 years 12 months ago

Hi Craig, 

Yes it is possible to roll the shoulders too far back.  Some of us who have a lot of mobility in our joints need to temper our enthusiasm when we perform a shoulder roll or adjust the head position.  The general instruction is to go part way to where you want to be (or where you can get to) initially.  After the body gets accustomed to this new position, then it is possible to roll the shoulders back a little further.  The body needs time, often, to adjust to a new architecture.  The muscles slowly lengthen.  So please do listen to the messages of discomfort and dial down the degree to which you are making adjustments.  

Also, although you are writing about stretchsitting, since you mentioned falling asleep, I am wondering if you were referring to stretch lying.  In stretch lying we do not roll the shoulders back.  We simply slide the shoulders down away from the ears and toward the hips.  The very top of the shoulders should be supported by a pillow. 

I hope this helps. 

Let me know if I have misinterpretted your question. 

Cecily Frederick, Gokhale Method Teacher