fbpx pillow in stretchlying and rounded shoulders | Gokhale Method Institute

pillow in stretchlying and rounded shoulders

Elizabeth C
Elizabeth C's picture
5 hours 48 min ago
pillow in stretchlying and rounded shoulders

Hi,  

When I try to put some of the shoulders on the pillow as recommended, it tends to push my shoulders forward and it feels that I am rounding them.  Am I doing this incorrectly?  it feels great when I have my shoulders off the pillow so they can go back and outward.

Also, I need to play with the pillow a bit bunching it up to give a little support under the neck so it doesn't hurt.  Is this Ok?  

14 min 40 sec ago

Hi LK,

Yes, it's definitely ok to bunch the pillow from the top to give yourself a little more curvature in the neck. Of course, we are aiming for a straighter, longer back of the neck, but rather than getting there 'overnight', so to speak, it is sensible to go slowly and gently. Comfort is a great indicator that you are doing it right :)

If your shoulders are feeling rounded on the pillow, here are a few troubleshooting ideas:

1. Perhaps your pillow is too soft and you are sagging in the middle?

2. This sounds a little silly, but perhaps it is your body tricking you? Proprioceptively you may be used to your shoulders being further away from your neck, and having them more in line makes it feel like they are more forward than they actually are?

It would be very helpful if you could ask a friend to take a photograph.

Best wishes,
Tegan Kahn

Gokhale Method Teacher, Canberra, Australia