fbpx Pillows Question | Gokhale Method Institute

Pillows Question

Treehugger
Treehugger's picture
4 years 1 week ago
Pillows Question

Hi, does Esther recommend, and perhaps Esther will answer this post, leg, back, or knee pillows?  What about body pillows?

Thanks.

Jacob K.
Jacob K.'s picture
2 years 6 months ago

Moved to forum "Stretchlying on the Back".

1 hour 23 min ago

Hi Treehugger,

There isn't a particular sort of pillow that Esther recommends. Personally and in the course of my teaching, I use the cheapest polyesther-stuffed pillows around! I prefer their softness but firmness compared with feather pillows, which I find too soft, and memory foam pillows, which I find too firm. But anything that you can mold a bit to fit your nooks and crannies and provides support for your body will work.

In her studio, Esther uses buckwheat pillows underneath other pillows to provide extra height and structure if needed. In Stretchlying on the Side, body pillows can provide nice spacing of your knees and ankles to prevent twist in the spine, and a handy place to rest your upper arm after rolling your shoulder back.

For Stretchlying on the Back, most people will feel more comfortable with one or two (or three!) pillows under their knees to reduce tension in the psoas, which sways the lower back.

Happy Gokhale-ing,

Tegan Kahn
Gokhale Method Teacher, Canberra, Australia