fbpx psoas pain early in the morning when getting up | Gokhale Method Institute

psoas pain early in the morning when getting up

aleesther
aleesther's picture
3 years 3 months ago
psoas pain early in the morning when getting up

Hi, I often wake up with morning hip pain.

I the past, I used to have pain in my left side.

Now, I have it in my right side. 

It desapears after 10 minute walking when I manage to stand up and get dressed which takes 30 or more minutes due to the pain. It does not refered to my leg, it is in my right butt.

After somo walking it vanishes, I walk from 6 to 7 miles a day, almost the 7 days of the week. I suspect, these walks add some extra tension for the next morning

Pain does not bothers during the day.

I switched my mattress, bought a harder one, I place a cushion below it , I placed a cushion below my knees too.

I sleep on my side, I cannot sleep on my back because it creates a back tension.

I started sitting as Esther recommends, a nice releaf

I wonder if she covers sleeping and walking as well

warm regards

ale

Jacob K.
Jacob K.'s picture
2 years 6 months ago

Moved question to "Other Joint and Muscle Conditions".

Best,

Jacob

The Gokhale Method Team

Teacher
3 weeks 1 day ago

Hi Ale,

great to hear you are experiencing relief from sitting as recommended by Esther. Yes we do teach how to lay down, both on the side and on the back - its good to be able to choose the one that works best for you. We also teach walking. The "8 Steps to a Pain Free" back book, available either as hardcopy or a pdf online, would be a great way of gaining an initial understanding of what we teach.

You are considering what you do and how that might relate to the pain in the morning - thats an excellent way to think. You might notice that on certain mornings it is different and maybe spot a pattern. 

Hip pain can be any one of a number of issues: in the hip, a tight psoas muscle, SI joint dysfunction to mention a few. In our experience the root cause of most problems is our day in day out posture and movement. Restoring our natural posture & movement fixes the problem at root and gives profound long term relief. Often 1 technique, maybe an adaption to help a specific glitch, is especially helpful to begin healing.

Given this pain disappears after a while it might be psoas related. Like you I am a side sleeper, but stretch lying on the back with some extra support under the knees, can be a delicious way of relaxing the psoas, maybe 10-15 minutes depending on what is comfortable. 

Working with a teacher would be ideal. In these strange times the balance of our teaching has shifted more online. 2021 offers the prospect of improvement, hopefuly including your hip pain. Please give updates on your progress.

aleesther
aleesther's picture
3 years 3 months ago

Hi john, thanks for your answer.

I started relaxing my psoas with 15 min stretch lying, I will make a try to switch my sleeping position to lying on my back.

I wonder if my morning walks add tension to my psoas, eventhough I spend 20 minutes stretching.

I guess, there must be many other people who experience this problem in the morning.

regards

ale