fbpx Shoulder asymmetry | Gokhale Method Institute

Shoulder asymmetry

rozmarinka
rozmarinka's picture
5 years 10 months ago
Shoulder asymmetry

Hello :) Can anyone point me in the right direciton? I have asymmetric shoulders with the right being somehow slumped, so that my scapula is constantly kind of pointing out. It doesn't hurt per se, it's mostly aesthetical, but it gets very uncomfortable when attempting to stretchsit. Is there anything I can do about it? And I should probably mention - I have a very tight neck and pretty rounded upper back due to my slightly slouched posture since I can remember.

Teacher
3 weeks 1 day ago

Hi,

A shoulder roll is a good place to start, but given the tight neck and rounded upper back, you will probably need to consider your overall structure: alignment of the pelvis, right down to your feet.  In my experience how strongly each foot kidney bean shapes has a profound effect all the way up the body, including the neck and shoulders.  Often 1 foot is weaker and kind of sluggish when kidney bean shaping - working to strengthen and liven this foot up can be very helpful. You could think of it as having 1 foot on the accelerator (or gas), 1 on the brake - can be a significant problem.  Be cautious, over revving the foot on the acelerator could exasperate imbalance -  its the foot on the brake that typically needs to work more. The foot exercises in the appendix of the "8 Steps to a Pain Free Back" book are an excellent way to start.

If anything is increases discomfort that is a signal to back off or change something. Often a "less is more" approach is surprisingly effective.  When there is a lot of rounding and stiffness in the upper back using a back roller, following Esthers instructions  can be very nice - do note that you should not do this if you have osteoporosis or osteopenea. I would want to see what is happening to be able to help in more detail. If there is a teacher near you, drop them an email.

John