fbpx Sore Mid back due to strech lying | Gokhale Method Institute

Sore Mid back due to strech lying

sarada nori
sarada nori's picture
10 years 10 months ago
Sore Mid back due to strech lying

Hi!

I have started strechlying 2 weeks ago .I suffered from L5/S1 2 1/2 yrs ago and trying to find ways to reduce pain due to nerve compression.5 months ago I have been having a period cramp kind of pain in my lower abdomen radiating on and off to lower parts.Recently I had a severe sciatic nerve shock pain which is thankfully better after a homeo medicine I used.

I want to make sure I am doing the strecth lying correctly because i currently experiance a mid back(little above low back and below shoulder blades) in the middle of the night. I do sleep well for about 5 hours and wake up with a bad mid back ache.I tried higher pillows under the head and also flat ones. As per Ms.Ester I put the pillow  close to the shoulder which sometimes results in a mild burning sensation. I am sleepless for the rest of the night and have to sit up for a while to feel better.

Please tell me if there is some mistake in my method of putting the pillow.The primary discomfort seems like the neck and mid back.

Thanks so much!

Sarada

Abeja Judy Hummel
Abeja Judy Hummel's picture
Teacher
2 weeks 3 days ago

Hello Sarada,

I'm sorry no one responded to you earlier.  I hope this helps you--or at least someone who is experiencing similar symptoms.

The long and the short of it is that your long back muscles, your erector spinae, are short and tight, and you are doing a great job--actually too great of a job--stretching them out.  Continue as you are doing, but with not quite so much stretch.  Work your way up to it. You should go somewhere between where your back currently is, and what is ideal.

Over time, you will be able to stretch more and more, without pain.

Hope that helps!

Judy Abeja Hummel

Gokhale Method Teacher

Mendocino, California