fbpx "Dropping" the Stomach & Pulling on the Kneecaps? | Gokhale Method Institute

"Dropping" the Stomach & Pulling on the Kneecaps?

jessjm256
jessjm256's picture
13 years 9 months ago
When I tilt my pelvis forward like prescribed, I feel like my stomach sort of "drops"... It releases, I guess. Is that correct? Or should the ribcage be, in a sense, pulling the gut in and up?

Should we stand in the same exact position as we would if we had our arms extended straight above our head while keeping good spinal alignment?

I'm also wondering about "weight on the heels". If this is true, then should it feel like we are pulling up on the knee-cap, and slightly contracting the quadricep muscle? I feel it a little in my glutes as well, but only if I am very mindful of my balance. I'm used to putting my bodyweight on the balls of my feet, which I think also gave me a sway back. It feels very different settling my weight back instead of forward!
charlenehannibal
charlenehannibal's picture
Teacher
3 years 1 month ago
When I tilt my pelvis forward like prescribed, I feel like my stomach sort of "drops"... It releases, I guess. Is that correct? Or should the ribcage be, in a sense, pulling the gut in and up?

The ribs want to anchor downward but the belly does "drop" somewhat.  This release is helpful for the pelvis to antevert and vice versa.  If you are using your Inner Corset, then you will use more abdominal muscles and the belly will feel lifted up.

Should we stand in the same exact position as we would if we had our arms extended straight above our head while keeping good spinal alignment?

I don't see why it should change if your arms are up or down as long as the the pelvis stays anteverted and the ribs anchored.

I'm also wondering about "weight on the heels". If this is true, then should it feel like we are pulling up on the knee-cap, and slightly contracting the quadricep muscle? I feel it a little in my glutes as well, but only if I am very mindful of my balance. I'm used to putting my bodyweight on the balls of my feet, which I think also gave me a sway back. It feels very different settling my weight back instead of forward!

When the weight is mostly on the heels, then the body needs to come forward slightly to counterbalance this effect.  If you are used to parking your hips forward, swaying the back and placing your weight over the balls of your feet, then it is likely that you are used to leaning back.  Then if you do not correct the leaning back and switch your weight to your heels, your quads will engage.  Rather, keep the knees soft (think not bent nor straight), relax the quads and then place the weight over the heels.  The weightbearing joints should line up nicely.  Also you may feel a bit of engagement in your Gluteus Medius, which is a good thing!  Many of my students who are used to swaying feel like they are leaning forward when they are properly standing-use a mirror often you look very straight up and down despite that feeling!

I hope this is helpful to you.

Best, 
Charlene Hannibal
Gokhale Method Teacher, Palo Alto and San Francisco