fbpx Stretchsit cushion | Gokhale Method Institute

Stretchsit cushion

srini123
srini123's picture
11 years 6 months ago
Stretchsit cushion
Dear Maya,

I was recently at your clinic for an initial consultation. Thanks for an excellent session!

I purchased the stretchsit cushion and have a few questions:

1. Where is the cushion supposed to be relative to the ribs and shoulders?

When I drove back with cushion from Palo Alto to Davis, I put the cushion on my car and it was great. I got off feeling well stretched and "not tired". But after that, I tried it on my chair (same chair as the one in your Mom's book), and it feels uncomfortable. Any specific guidance would be great.

2. What is the function served by those protrusions jutting out of the cushion?

3. When I do stretch-sitting, I go through the steps and I find that after I "hitch" my back to the cushion, my back drops down. Is that ok? Does that just suggest weak back muscles? I wish I can keep my back up.

I understand that you have plenty of things to do, so I really appreciate your feedback on my questions.

Thanks for your help.

warm regards,
Srini
Maya
Maya's picture
5 years 10 months ago
Hi Srini,

I am glad you are making use of what you learned in your session.

1. Position of Stretchsit cushion: The top nubs should be right below the bottom of your shoulder blades. You want to make sure you have space to roll the shoulders back.

2. Function of rubber nubs: They provide a good surface with high friction so that you can actually "stick" yourself on, and they will keep your spine in a bit of traction.

3. Sinking down after hitching: That's normal. You don't need a lot of length - just a mild stretch over a prolonged period of time is best. This doesn't necessarily suggest weak back muscles. In fact, in sitting (in any position), you don't want to be tensing your back muscles to try to hold yourself upright.

About the cushion being comfortable in the car but not feeling quite right in another chair:
Try adjusting the position a bit (up or down). Sometimes you may even need to add a little something extra (flannel) behind the Stretchsit cushion, if the chair angles back a bit. You can add something just behind the top half of the cushion so that it is more vertical. We sometimes do that in the chairs we use here in the studio.
So play around with it a little bit and see if you can find a good setup. That's great that it was so helpful in the car!
srini123
srini123's picture
11 years 6 months ago
Dear Maya,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

best wishes,
Srini