fbpx have others in their sixties been helped? | Gokhale Method Institute

have others in their sixties been helped?

seawoman127
seawoman127's picture
9 years 11 months ago
have others in their sixties been helped?
hello.....i am 63 and have had pain/sciatica for 15 months, not long compared to many , i realize.  my doctor tells me to j ust get used to it, it's part of aging.  my MRI shows 2 bulging discs, stenosis, arthritis, short pedicles, etc etc.  i've been reading esther's beautiful book and making some changes, and my pain is different, but quite strong.  i'm wondering if others my age have found the system helpful, and others with these things on their MRI.  in other words, could the increase in pain mean that i'm doing damage? i can stick with it through the pain, if i know it will improve in the long run.  i would appreciate any feedback on this.  thank you. 
Vjsmith
Vjsmith's picture
12 years 6 months ago
Hi,
I'm well into my sixties and have experienced back pain since I was in my twenties.  I've tried all kinds of methods/treatments to ease or remove the pain and was not very successful until I read Esther's book and took the GM101 course in early December.  I can say that I have seen much improvement--my pain is steadily diminishing and I now sleep pain-free, which is a big relief.  The method is not strenuous and I never feel like I will hurt myself.

It might be worth saying that much of what I was taught by physical therapists was actually making my pain worse.  Some of Esther's techniques may run counter to what a particular PT will recommend, but I now know that the Gokhale Method is safer than some PT exercises.  

I highly recommend the GM 101 course to start with. I plan to follow up with the monthly refresher courses and will also take the more advanced GM course.

Val Smith
Sweetbriar
Sweetbriar's picture
9 years 4 months ago
I'll be 60 in June.  I found Esther's book while doing a search b/c of unresolved neck and shoulder pain that went on for months even while working with a chiropracter and massage therapist.  I have very little neck issues now.  I use the stretchsit cushion in my car.  I still need to work on improving many steps but I'm a long way from where I was when I first started.  Good luck.  :)