fbpx sit on exercise/body ball? | Gokhale Method Institute

sit on exercise/body ball?

beaking
beaking's picture
4 years 3 months ago
sit on exercise/body ball?

Hi Esther,

After reading your book, I am thinking of sitting on a exercise ball when working instead of a chair. I feel that could keep the tail back but I am not very sure whether it will make the muscle intense. Could you give some input on it?

Thanks!

Keying

artilugio
artilugio's picture
3 years 6 months ago

Hi

Just adding my two cents here:

I have been using the ball at work as a chair for almost one year. It is perfect, you get used to it fast. I have my workstation configured so that I can work standing also and what I do is alternate between the ball and standing (like 1-2 hours each). I also have a Costco task chair (like the one used in the book for stretchsitting) and usually I start the work day on it stretchsitting for around one hour.

Go for the ball, you will be happy with it (I surely am!)

charlenehannibal
charlenehannibal's picture
Teacher
3 years 2 months ago

Keying, 

An exercise ball is not a bad idea for Stacksitting as it can be useful for anteverting the pelvis.  You definitely want to make sure that you do not fall into a sway however in the back.  Make sure you properly anchor your ribs to keep your back long.  If you need to strengthen your rib anchor muscles, you might consider practicing the exercises for the Rib Anchor in the appendix of 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back.

Best, 

Charlene Hannibal

Gokhale Method Teacher, Palo Alto/San Francisco

charlenehannibal
charlenehannibal's picture
Teacher
3 years 2 months ago

Additionally in reference to the Gaiam Ergonomic ball chair, the same principle applies as above.  I would have to sit on this chair to see how tall it is-my concern is that because the ball is elevated, it might be difficult to sit forward on the ball enough to have the knees lower than the hips, which is ideal for Stacksitting.  Also, I would completely ignore the back rest on this chair, since it is probably not tall enough to Stretchsit, and if you scooted all the way back, the slope of the ball would likely tuck the pelvis which is not ideal.

I hope this helps!

-Charlene Hannibal

Gokhale Method Teacher, Palo Alto and San Francisco