fbpx Sitting on a "Tush-cush" wedge cushion | Gokhale Method Institute

Sitting on a "Tush-cush" wedge cushion

JO
JO's picture
3 years 7 months ago
Sitting on a "Tush-cush" wedge cushion

I have a wedge shaped cushion that I used to use it when while driving, to help ensure my hips are higher than my knees, and alleviate pain in my sacrum/low back.  It's called the "car-tush", but I think they make a bigger one called the Tush-Cush "http://www.tushcush.com/product_info.php?products_id=66" .  It's about 16" wide, 13"deep, and almost 3" thick on the wide (rear) edge.  I just discovered that it fits perfectly on my office chair, and it seems to promote pelvic anteversion.  I have it set up now on my officeI have a wedge shaped cushion that I used to use it when while driving, to help ensure my hips are higher than my knees, and alleviate pain in my sacrum/low back.  It's called the "car-tush", but I think they make a bigger one called the Tush-Cush

Founder
21 hours 54 min ago
I recommend doing one or the other, stretchsit or stacksit, not both. If you try to do both at the same time, there is danger of swaying your back. Stacksitting usually exploits all the flexibility you have at L5-S1. If you then try to lean back against a backrest, seeing as you don't have any more give at L5-S1 to exploit, so you end up swaying/arching your low back higher up.

Your wedge is better than not having a wedge at all, but in general, I find that a linear sloping wedge doesn't have enough of a precipice any place to encourage your pelvis to tip forward very much. I prefer a folded fleece blanket or towel or just the padded front edge of a chair as a wedge.
JO
JO's picture
3 years 7 months ago
Thanks Ester. So, now I do understand the importance of not trying to do stretch sitting and stack sitting combined.  But when doing stack sitting, is it better to sit on a completely flat (horizontal) surface?  Is the slightly tilted surface that I get with this cushion O.K?

Thanks!
Founder
21 hours 54 min ago
Yes, this tilt is better than horizontal is far better than sloping the wrong way. You might try adding a little something under your sit bones in addition to the tush-cush.