fbpx misaligned hips | Gokhale Method Institute

misaligned hips

mmcphee7117
mmcphee7117's picture
13 years 4 months ago
misaligned hips

I didn't know where else to post this but my question is in regards to how effective this method (hip hinging/stretch sitting/laying/etc)  would be when the hips/pelvis is asymmetrical.  My hips are all messed up after looking through 8 steps to a pain free back, it seems that most of these techniques use the hips/pelvis/etc as foundation to correct the rest of the posture.  So what happens when hips are misaligned.  For instance, one of my legs s slightly longer than the other due to the mis alignment and my hips feels incredibly askew (muscles are always sore around the right femoral head/feels like it is going to "pop" out of the acetabulum).  Any information on this would be appreciated, thanks. 

ghul
ghul's picture
13 years 4 months ago

hi i seem to have a similiar problem i got mild pain in left foot, right knee right shoulder appears to be higher and right hip shows similiar symptoms as you describe just not as intense.

i think improving overall posture ( strechting spine) will improve condition and i also think that it might be neccessary to work specifically on the  asymmetry problem of the hip at the same time as well.

i noticed something and maybe you can try it out too: when i do a light hiphing and remain in that position for a while i noticed that my left back muscles got sorer after a while.

i am currently strechting my muscles that connect torso to leg ( page 208-210) hope that will help with alignment.

Just wondering if doing samba as described in the book would help.

Founder
9 hours 57 min ago

1. is the hip height discrepancy coming from a leg length discrepancy (you want to get this verified by a professional. Too often people get given a shoe lifts that exacerbate the problem, because the problem was really in the torso, not the leg) or from asymmetrically tight musculature in the torso (example, quadratus lumborum on one side is tight).

2. If you have a leg length discrepancy, consider wearing a shoe lift or standing with one leg out to the side a little. You should definitely see a professional about this. if the problem is a tight QL (quadratus lumborum), you need to stretch it (you should be able to get help from a PT, the internet, or make an appointment with me.)

3. Softening the area with lots of gentle healthy movement is always a good idea, provided you aren't inflaming an area. Samba, swimming, glidewalking - can all be great. Getting high quality massage or acupuncture can also be excellent. 

Hiphinging is difficult to learn on your own. Most people don't get it from just the book. You may be doing something off. The best way to learn this material is to take our Gokhale Method Foundations course.

Good luck!

Lara
Lara's picture
7 years 11 months ago

Have you considered going to a rolfing practicioner? It can add up in cost, but that's what I did when I got diagnosed with having one leg shorter by a chiropractor. I was told I needed to spend the rest of my life walking around in orthotics to correct the difference. Instead, I went to see a rolfer who explained to me how there wasn't proper movement happening in my right hip - well, that's not so technical, so here's an article that might help more: http://rolfingjourney.com/articles-about-rolfing®-si/is-rolfing®-structural-integration-the-same-as-deep-tissue-massage-and-myofascial-release/

I had some mild pain/discomfort in my lower back and on the chiro's X-ray it showed one of my discs (I think it was the L5-S1) was half compressed. I've gone to about 8 rolfing sessions so far and have worked to incorporate Esther's methods and it feels a lot better now.

Well, hopefully you get this message and good luck with the hips!