fbpx Gluteus muscles | Gokhale Method Institute

Gluteus muscles

sunshine
sunshine's picture
14 years 3 months ago
Gluteus muscles
Dear Ester, I've read your book and listened to your recording at the Palo Alto library and am quite embarrassed to ask this question regarding  glidewalking... I think I must have the most underdeveloped gluteus muscles because I don't know how to squeeze them to initiate (propel) the walking. When I think I am squeezing the gluteus (back leg), I end up putting pressure in my back thigh,  back knee (lock my knee) and my ab feels tired. Any suggestions? I read that one person described the walking as hiking, could you also describe it like going up the stairs? Thanks for your response!   :) Happy New Year! Sun PS: I hope in the near future, you'll consider giving workshops in east bay.  :)
Founder
5 hours 36 min ago
Don't be embarrassed! None of this is trivial. In fact, the first muscle to work when you are propelling yourself forward is the hamstrings, so it is okay to feel something there and it's not so bad for your abs to get tired (they do work to keep the torso stable, especially in a fast walk). you don't want to lock your knees, but it is common to lock the knees when you are first learning this. To prevent locking, it helps to engage the arch muscles in the foot. This is tricky with everything else going on and you may instead want to just take shorter steps till you get the hang of protecting your knees by shortening your foot. To get the glutes to work more reliably, it helps to strengthen them on the side. See the second last exercise in the back of the book. You may even want to get your glutes a little sore - then it's easier to find them in walking! It is a little like going up stairs the right way, but most people go up stairs by pulling themselves up and then this is different. You have a good project picked out for the New Year - good luck! Since you are in the East Bay, consider coming to Palo Alto or S.F. for one of our intensive courses - people come here from abroad and are always happy they did so!
sunshine
sunshine's picture
14 years 3 months ago
Hi Ester, Thank you for your response and encouragement! Yes, I will do the exercise at the end of the book and consider attending a workshop in SF. Best, Sun