fbpx Getting back to golf | Gokhale Method Institute

Getting back to golf

Jimlindy
Jimlindy's picture
1 week 2 days ago
Getting back to golf

I am working on changes to my golf swing that are consistent with the Gokhale Method. The attached pic is from our local newspaper and shows a senior golfer (not me) making a chip shot. He seems to have some things consistent with the Gokhale Method i.e. anteverted pelvis, straight back, knees slightly open. Are there any comments on this pic or other suggestions to help in my journey to get back to golf?

Rachel Margaret
Rachel Margaret's picture
1 month 2 weeks ago

Hi,

I'll try to make a few comments, but please bear in mind I am not a golfer!

I can see in this photo that he has his pelvis anteverted - his behind is behind and his belt is angled down at the front - so that is good.

To me it looks like his knees are a bit inward, coming together, but maybe that is part of the twist in the swing? Before making any golf swing I suggest practicing your tallstanding first, starting with bean-shaping your feet which will help in angling the feet and knees a bit outward. And also focusing on shoulder rolls to help with settling the shoulders further back instead of rounding forward, and gliding the head back & lengthening the neck.

The top of his back is rounded forward. I suggest revisiting hip-hinging to bend forward rather than rounding the top of the back. 

I hope this is helpful.

Rachel Margaret, Gokhale Method Teacher

4 days 2 hours ago

Dear Jim:

I agree with what Rachel says with regard to the set up in tallstanding to set the feet, lower body and upper body with the shoulder rolls, tall neck, etc. I would also suggest the man in the photo is rounded in the upper back and would do well to keep his shoulders pulled back since he has now moved in to a hinged position and holding the club in hands, therefore he not only has the weight of his arms to keep the shoulders in the socket where they belong, but the club weight as well. It is tough to determine what is really going on with the pelvis because he is in a squatting position and who knows how he stands up once he is done with that chip shot. I would also highly suggest a very strong inner corset with any kind of a golf swing, including putting. 

The power in the golf swing really comes from the hips and glutes, but you definitely need a very strong inner corset to follow through with and you will see great strides in your game. It changed mine.

If you have taken the Foundations course and know what all of these terms mean, you're off to the races! If not, you can schedule with a qualified Gokhale Method teacher and get some professional instruction. 

Kind regards, 

Kathleen King