fbpx "Your office chair is killing you" - interesting article | Gokhale Method Institute

"Your office chair is killing you" - interesting article

Maya
Maya's picture
5 years 10 months ago
"Your office chair is killing you" - interesting article
Hello Gokhale Method fans -

I definitely suggest you check out this recent article from businessweek:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_19/b4177071221162_page_2.htm

Not everything they say is 100% compatible with the Gokhale Method, but some points that are stated are right on - for example, that lumbar support is actually counterproductive (but because it's so standard now, people just assume it's healthy). Also in the article - the co-designer of Aeron admits that he was not hired to design a healthy chair, but rather just to make a next-generation product to keeping generating revenue.

As I frequently tell my students, often simpler chairs are better. If you know how to position and use your body correctly, you won't need all the bells and whistles of a fancy office chair.
Founder
6 hours 41 min ago

It's so great that there is more attention being paid to these everyday facts of life. Fifty years ago not many people thought about diet - now we all do. As long as there is conversation going, our wisdom will increase. Saying that "your office chair is killing you" is not a very mature finding (it now turns out that standing kills you too (!), but it dos start a useful conversation. 

In the mean time, we are proud to have created the Gokhale Pain Free chair - used skillfully and in moderation, we believe this chair, far from killing you, can actually heal your back.