fbpx Squatting and lack of hemorrhoid in Asian population | Gokhale Method Institute

Squatting and lack of hemorrhoid in Asian population

zgirshfeld
zgirshfeld's picture
2 years 9 months ago
Squatting and lack of hemorrhoid in Asian population

It is related to Esther Gokhale recent "Squatting" video.

Yesterday PT told me that in Asian cultures women so not sit down on toilet stand...or did not use to sit down...

They squat.

She said they do mot have hemorrhoid conditions.

She proceeded to explain to me how sitting on a usual toilet stand contributes to hemorrhoid stuff...i did not really get it...something about pelvic area angle.

So i would like to ask if  anyone  knows anything...please share with us. What is exactly the difference between squatting and sitting down on the toilet for women in the sense of muscles and pelvic rotation (i guess in Esther terms "tacking your butt")?  How it affects blood flow and hemorrhoid?

Zoya Girshfeld,    LCSW

Jacob K.
Jacob K.'s picture
2 years 6 months ago

Moved forum question to "physiological conditions" section.

Linda Boisclair's picture
Teacher
17 hours 52 min ago

Hello Zoya,

Esther talks about this in her Primal Toilette alumni video (see in your Alumni section), in general (not for women only).

Proper posture on the toilet does seem to make a difference when it comes to bathroom function. A study comparing squatting to sitting revealed that squatting required less time and effort for a satisfactory result (Digestive Diseases and Sciences, July 2003).

Gastroenterologist Stephen Sontag believes that sitting (instead of squatting) in the bathroom restricts the angle and contributes to hiatal hernias and gastroesophageal reflux disease (Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine, March-June 1999).

Most Americans would prefer not to squat, since it requires an uncomfortable use of leg muscles and balance. But using a step stool to support your feet might be a reasonable compromise.

Please see Esther's "Primal Toilet" video!
Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2015/03/10/5680230/proper-potty-posture-eases-effort.html#storylink=cpy

Best,

Linda