fbpx Costochondritis | Gokhale Method Institute

Costochondritis

shawntain
shawntain's picture
4 years 3 months ago
Costochondritis

Hello!

I'm looking for exercises and posture tips to help with costochondritis.  I can't bear any pressure around my ribs and have had to stop wearing a bra - just a light camisole with an adhesive bra.  I have a child with a disability and have to do a fair amount of lifting, but am trying to be more skillful so as to reduce pressure on the sternum when extending my arms to lift.

Thank you so much!

Jenny

Sophie Rubin
Sophie Rubin's picture
7 years 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your condition! Having pain in your ribcage is not fun. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a quick fix for you. Costochondritis takes time to heal on its own, and the best thing you can do is make sure that your posture is strong in every other aspect, to help cover for the weakness in your ribs. Knowing how to lift properly, sitting into your pelvis without curving your spine forward, and engaging the large muscles in your arms will help reduce the risk of injury. By rolling your shoulders back so they align with your back, your arms will feel shorter, but it will prevent you from trying to lift while your arms are over-extended from your body, where you don't have much leverage and are at high risk for injury. 

If you can find a foundations course near you, pretty much all of the material taught will help you protect your ribs from further injury, and help reduce inflamation faster by making sure that your ribs aren't bearing any unnecessary strain. If a foundations course is not available to you, I would follow the book, 8 Steps to a Pain Free back, as closely as you can.