fbpx length of time to pass before becomming pregnant | Gokhale Method Institute

length of time to pass before becomming pregnant

renae h
renae h's picture
2 years 7 months ago
length of time to pass before becomming pregnant

I had severe lower back pain late in my second pregnancy, with terrible back spasms which began immediately post partum, and which lasted for several weeks.  I know now that it was probably caused by terrible posture habits during that time, and exascerbated by lugging around my 1.5 year old while super pregnant.  I suspect the relaxin hormone probably played a role in the pain as well.  I have been practicing the primal posture methods for a couple months now (I am presently 9 months post partum with my second child), but wondered how long it generally takes before another pregnancy is recommended?  Im sure this varies widely based on how much time the particular student practices...I am only able to actively practice (with no other distractions) glidewalking about 3 times a week for 1 mile each time.  The rest of my practice is on a "when I remember" basis as I move through the days as a stay at home mom with a 2.5 year old and a nine month old (LOTS of opportunities for hip hinging, not much for stretchsitting).  Is there a general bell curve for time it takes for students to become strong in their new and better posture?  Does that amount of time get lengthened for really feeling strong and secure in the new posture methods before trying the have a healthy pain-free pregnancy?  Thanks.

Janine Farzin
Janine Farzin's picture
Teacher
2 years 1 month ago

Hi Renae, 

I love that you are practicing where you can!  You taking care of your body is the first step to teaching these great habits to your little people! 

I'm a local teacher in Chicago and I have three little ones. I had a LOT of back pain/sciatica/numbness after my first baby until I found Esther and her work - so I can totally relate to what you are talking about.  I do think that relaxin plays a part and as long as you are nursing, it will stay in your body.  What that means is that you have to be extra mindful and extra strong in using your body well to avoid extra problems (even though this is completely contradictory to having a double full time job = your kids!).  Let me see if I can get through your questions:

I don't have medical training, so I don't know about waiting for another pregnancy.  I can share my experience though - for me, I needed to be pain-free and feel ready.  (Totally separately, my midwives had also told me to wait at least one year.) In any case, my first two are 25 months apart (after the back problems with my first), and then 30 months between 2 and 3.  It felt harder to get into shape after the subsequent pregnancies and to feel strong again, even though I've been able to avoid any pain problems since I learned the Gokhale Method.

A bell curve for students to become strong?  It depends.  I do feel like people make great progress once they have a good sense of how they want to use their body (which feels very different at first - we often say 'wierd, but not uncomfortable is great' in the beginning). Are you near any of teachers?  Can you come in for an Initial Consult, or even a Free Workshop?  There are so many nuances that are often overlooked when students are working from the book that sometimes this can delay things.  My personal experience was that I was really able to learn to stretchsit and stretchlie from the book (and it was such a relief! it encouraged me to follow this path), but it wasn't until I flew to CA and took a private Gokhale Method Foundations course (our core offering - there were no other teachers nearby at that time) that I really started to put the pieces together and understand how hip hinging helps me stacksit better and how the rib anchor was the most important element for me personally because of the deep and persistent sway that I had.  It would be great if you could find a teacher because the hands-on is really helpful for kinestetic changes! Are you near Chicago??? :)

Know that it's definitely possible to have another pain-free pregnancy and i would definitely recommend waiting until you feel ready (for your own sanity!).  Hope that we can work with you in person very soon!  If it's not possible in the meantime, there are lots of videos of Esther teaching or speaking on YouTube and little videos on our website - check out all those too because you might see something you missed in the book.  Best wishes!  Keep up your hard work!

Warmly,

Janine 

renae h
renae h's picture
2 years 7 months ago

Hi Janine!  Thanks so much for your thorough response to my questions!  Man, do I wish I could come to Chicago to visit you...it sounds like we have had some similar experiences with pain and posture!  I am still nursing my 9 month old regularly though, so I'd have to bring the whole family, and that just doesn't sound like a reasonable travel plan right now from where I live in Raleigh.  I do plan on seeing a Gokhale trained professional when possible, but it looks like the closest person to me is still a 3 hour drive away.  So until then, I've been studying Ester's book and DVD, and researching online for as many clues as I can to piece together what glidewalking looks and feels like for me.  I hear you about the rib anchor...I feel like I've been experimenting with different ways to hold and use my core, and sometimes I feel like I'm close to getting it right, but goodness.  It is a very hard thing to figure out completely on your own (without feedback from a trained person).  A free seminar is a good idea too, though.  I will look into that.  Thank you.

DHESTA
DHESTA's picture
6 years 11 months ago