fbpx Farming/Gardening | Gokhale Method Institute

Farming/Gardening

katieloehrlein
katieloehrlein's picture
8 months 5 days ago
Farming/Gardening

I have an opportunity to work part time on a local farm, and I am so excited, but I have some hesitations because of the labor and my body.  

I have diastasis recti after two children,  the youngest is 5.  Part of me really wants to try out the farming job, but part of me is concerned I could do damage to my back because of my diastasis recti. I'm 5'10" and weigh 250lbs.  I'm fairly proportioned but because of my diastasis recti and large breasts, most of the weight is in my torso.  I struggle with tight hamstrings.

I have read questions and answers on Gokhale Method website regarding diastasis recti, but I wanted to ask if there is anything extra I could do to support the integrity of my body and even improve it while farming, if I take the job.  They said there is lots of hoeing and pulling weeds. 

I live in Evansville, IN so getting to a foundation course would be challenging and I am low income so taking the foundation courses online, if offered, is not possible.  However I do have the book, 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back.  

Thank you for any recommendations you can provide.