fbpx Pes Cavus (idiopathic) | Gokhale Method Institute

Pes Cavus (idiopathic)

gslokar
gslokar's picture
3 weeks 6 days ago
Pes Cavus (idiopathic)

Dear All

My nephew recently got diagnosed with idiopathic pes cavus (high arches). Since this condition is rarer than pes planus, I have been struggling to gain perspective regarding this issue. Conventional treatment is using insoles further supporting the elevated arches. I was wondering if you have any opionions regarding development and potentially improvement of this issue?

Thanks a lot!

Gorjan

Harrison Conerly's picture
Teacher
20 hours 18 min ago

Hello Gorjan,

Thank you for writing. I am sorry to hear about your nephew's diagnosis, and I will offer what insights I can without seeing your nephew's movement patterns.

The Gokhale Method focuses of three main things in regards to our feet. The base line shape, where we settle our weight when standing, and recruiting strength and maintaining shape in walking. We use various techinques to restore strength and shape, and we advise students to settle their weight in the heels when standing. For many students we do recommend arch supportive insoles for their shoes as they restore the baseline strength to their feet.

I have not worked directly with a student exhibiting pes cavus. Looking into the ailment, I would expect the afflicted to bear weight on the front of the foot and to have some form of muscular imbalance between the foot and ankle. An excercise your nephew could try is the toe tap. Have him balance his weight over his heels, then tap the front of the foot. Alternate between left and right and have him explore how this feels?

I would also suggest a Gokhale Consultation if you would like a more in-depth look at his situation.

I hope this helps you gain some perspective, and please reach out with any other questions.

Best,

Harrison Conerly

Teacher/Teacher Liaison