fbpx Gokhale Pain-Free™ Chair | Gokhale Method Institute

Gokhale Pain-Free™ Chair

debra.m
debra.m's picture
2 months 4 weeks ago
Gokhale Pain-Free™ Chair

I took the foundation class 3 weeks ago and it was wonderful. I used the chair in class and my back felt great. As I needed a new desk chair at home I bought one and have been using daily. However, I hate to say it is causing pain in my back in the area that the Stretchsit® nubs come in contact with my back. I also have the  Stretchsit® Cushion in my car and it does not cause this problem. In looking at the nubs on both the chair & cushion, I have noticed that the Chair nubs are harder and pointed, while the nubs on the cushion are very clearly softer and flatter to the back, causing no direct pain in the area that it supports and comes in contact with. I also did not have trouble at all with the chair (same size I bought), while in class for 3 days. I believe I'm sitting in it properly and wondering if the chairs in class, since used over time, have softened the nubs, thus, not causing the same pain. I am wondering if there are any thoughts about this as I would hate to have to return the chair because I do believe it is allowing me to sit properly while at the computer, as well as keeping my spine elongated and in alignment.

Monisha
Monisha's picture
3 years 3 months ago

Hi Debra,

It sounds like the intensity of the contact / pressure is what's feeling uncomfortable to you. I have two recommendations:

- Try putting less pressure / weight against the backrest. When stretchsitting, people sometimes push against the backrest with a lot of force to get as much traction as they can. Sometimes this feels really great to people because they like pressure on their lower back and enjoy the intense traction. In your case, it sounds like your getting a bit much of that. Try attaching yourself gently rather than forcefully. If it's still feeling too intense, attach yourself even more gently, putting even less weight / pressure against the backrest. You want to exprience less force against your back and a reduced intensity of the contact with the nubs. There's no need to get as much traction as you possible can! A gentle traction is great.

- Drape a flannel over the backrest (or put an extra layer of clothing on yourself) to soften the contact of the nubs.

​​I think by reducing the strength and intensity of contact with the backrest / nubs you should be able to continue getting all the benefits while eliminate the discomfort you're feeling.

Monisha