fbpx Mid-Back Tightness | Gokhale Method Institute

Mid-Back Tightness

rythmrogue
rythmrogue's picture
1 year 8 months ago
Mid-Back Tightness

I am about halfway through the book and have already found low back and neck pain relief. However, I am finding that the more I practice stretchsitting and stacksitting, the more my middle back keeps locking up. The muscles around my cervical vertebrae are super tight and get painful after about 10 minutes. I can't find any guidance on this and I'm not sure where to turn. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Teacher
42 min 4 sec ago

Its difficult to specifically advise you without being able to see what's going on in your body and how you are stretch sitting and stacksitting. But in general I would advise you, in the stretchsitting, to lower the intensity of the stretch for the time being and certainly come out of it if you are having any discomfort. You can return to it after a few minutes(or longer). If muscles are overstretched (in intensity or time) they behave like angry animals and seize up. The mid back is a common place to feel some tightness when adjusting your posture and this is the advice we give our students. As far as the neck goes, this is a very sensitive area and you must be mindful not to change anything too quickly. The changes you see in the neck in the book happen over a long period of time, sometimes years. Some kind of manual therapy can be helpful as well if there are tight muscles.

It is difficult to learn the Gokhale Method by just reading the book and I suggest you find a teacher in your area and do some in person lessons. If this isn't possible there are online classes available. If you were learning to play golf, you would struggle doing it by just reading a book. You would most likely seek out lessons. Same thing applies here.

Janet5656
Janet5656's picture
1 year 2 months ago

@rythmrogue, I also faced the same problem after I met with a car accident last year. I have tried several treatments and therapies. None of them worked. I underwent a treatment from Chiropractor & Wellness Center In Virginia, Maryland, Washington D.C. It got a lot better after that.