fbpx Is it ever ok to tuck the pelvis? | Gokhale Method Institute

Is it ever ok to tuck the pelvis?

SweetSassyCat
SweetSassyCat's picture
3 years 4 months ago
Is it ever ok to tuck the pelvis?

Hi there. I attended a Gokhale course in July and have found it very helpful. Change is happening, albeit slowly. I have a deep lordosis and despite daily Gokhale practice the curve in my lower back really hasn't changed. If I hold my TVA on at 100% I can achieve a pretty good J spine. It also slightly tucks my pelvis slightly and I obviously can't hold my abs at that intensity all the time. What is the best way to achieve a J spine with such a deep curve? Is it ever ok to slightly tuck the pelvis in order to give me a more neutral spine? Thank you!

Teacher
1 hour 59 min ago

There are several variables that you mention here that could be influencing your lordosis. Its possible that some of it is caused by your "sticking out" your behind and if that is the case then any shift in the shaping of the spine in the opposite direction could feel like tucking to you, but that may not actually be the case if you don't see that in the mirror.  That being said, you shouldn't need to engage the TVA at 100% throughout the day, its just not sustainable. But if you do this as an exercise, over time the TVA should become strong enough over time to support the new shaping of the spine.

You have the great advantage of having a relationship with a Gokhale Method teacher with whom you took the  class. I would go back to him/her with your concerns and if you can't meet in person for a follow-up, then send some pictures of what's going on so you can get some feedback. If you attended a pop-up course then I would suggest an in person private follow-up or a skype session to sort this out with any of our teachers.

All the best to you as you continue on your posture journey!

Cynthia Rose, L.Ac.

Gokhale Method Teacher, NYC

SweetSassyCat
SweetSassyCat's picture
3 years 4 months ago

Thank you!