fbpx Using arch muscles while walking | Gokhale Method Institute

Using arch muscles while walking

lawrence82
lawrence82's picture
8 months 5 days ago
Using arch muscles while walking
Hello Esther. I am still  having problems using my foot arches while walking . Looking at step e. on pg 193  my foot doesn't have any of that bending motion. I am wondering what sensations will I feel from the ground as I use my foot arch muscles in the correct way?  I think that if I can get an understanding of the muscle action then I can figure out how to do this consistently, and use my feet muscles during my walk . Thank you for your book and time and have a happy new year!
Founder
5 hours 6 min ago
Gripping / grabbing sensation. I think it's easiest to find this by practicing the inchworm and other exercises on pages 211-2. Also, walking barefoot on the beach is great if you have the chance. Sometimes it takes going through the motions (literally!) a number of times to connect with what is happening.
lawrence82
lawrence82's picture
8 months 5 days ago
Thank you for this. I can feel the foot motion happening at times throughout my walk. Also when beginning my stride I have trouble relaxing the leg thats moving forward (step3 pg.180)  this shortens my stride length and when I do the recommended squat before walking it sometimes helps, but my pelvis seems to keep tucking on its own making a normal, fluid walking motion feel almost impossible. Do you have any ideas on how I can release this strong pelvic tuck? or will it just take time?
Founder
5 hours 6 min ago
See http://gokhalewellness.com/forumtml
lawrence82
lawrence82's picture
8 months 5 days ago
Hello Esther, it's me again. I am sorry for asking you a million questions on the same subject. It's just that this is the only chapter of your book that I feel like I cant master. I have used the tips provided in your above link to some success. My gait feels a little looser while moving. Thank's. Here are my hopefully last question to you on this subject. On pg. 179 step 2 (second bullet and accompying illustration to the right)  What do you mean pulled back within flesh of thigh? what will you feel at this point ? what  is the illustration showing?                                                                                                            Thank you for your generosity and for all of your responses.
Founder
5 hours 6 min ago
The glutes attach to the back of the femur, so when you contract the glutes, they literally pull the femur backwards at their attachments. It helps to visualize the bone migrating backwards within the flesh of the thigh. What happens is the leg gets pulled backwards but since the foot is stuck to the ground, the whole of you gets propelled forward. Hope that helps. I don't mind your questions - it is nice to have keen students and you are considerate not to ask me to write long essays!
lawrence82
lawrence82's picture
8 months 5 days ago
LoL. Thank you for the answer,it helps.Quick question: where exactly is the gluteus medius? I tried the exercise on pg. 213 of the book but I cant tell the difference between isolating the different buttock muscles. 
Founder
5 hours 6 min ago
Upper outer quadrant of the buttock. Look at the picture of the Ubong tribesmen in 8 Steps on page 19 - glut med is just above the hollow cheek area - very distinct on these guys as well as on male ballet dancers, ice skaters, hurdlers, etc.
lawrence82
lawrence82's picture
8 months 5 days ago
"The glutes attach to the back of the femur, so when you contract the glutes, they literally pull the femur backwards at their attachments" I notice the leg straightens, (gets pulled backwards) Is this correct?
Founder
5 hours 6 min ago
Yes!