fbpx Gokhale Method and Breastfeeding | Gokhale Method Institute

Gokhale Method and Breastfeeding

alex.comardo
alex.comardo's picture
6 years 8 months ago
Gokhale Method and Breastfeeding

Copied from another subforum, original post by rozmarinka

"I am a new mum and find most of the breastfeeding positions uncomfortable, especially over a period of time. Due too some difficulties regarding breastfeeding, Biological Nurturing specifically position was recommended to me. After some research I have found out, that it is mostly basing on reclined position with weight on one's sacrum. Generally, I feel strain in lumbar and upper thoracic spine and sometimes some weird pressure in sacrum. I guess having weak abdominal muscles post pregnancy and possibly DR, doesn't help. 

I would appreciate some views on BN and some possibly more back-friendly positions. 

With kind regards, 

Renata Pučnik"

Teacher
7 hours 34 min ago

It is important in the Biological Nurturing position that both the mother and the baby be comfortable. I would recommend, when reclining, that you support both your neck and upper back with your pillow so that you are in a semi- reclining position. The pillow under the upper back will prevent strain on you neck and keep the correct allignment in the thoracic spine. Think about the shape of your spine as you settle into a comfortable position and resist the urge to continuously look down at the baby while she is nursing as this will strain your neck.I would also recommend having one or two pillows under your knees and allow the legs to relax and externally rotate.

When getting into this reclining position, I would stretch lie down onto your back to alleviate compression on the spine. If you have not take the Gokhale Foundations class, there is a video on You Tube which will show you how to do this. In the book "8 Steps to a  Pain Free Back" you will see an optional way of holding the pelvis when lying down that will prevent the pelvis from tucking under. This could be helpful for you as well.

To prevent starin in your baby's neck make sure that she is positioned high enough on your body so that she doesn't have to elevate her chin once she latches on. You can support her with your arms once you are both comfortable.

As far as other positions for breast feeding, stretch lying on the side would work as well and would provide alot of body contact between you and the baby.

It would be helpful to work one on one with a Gokhale Method teacher so I encourage you to find one and set up a consultation to get hands on feedback and instruction on how to comfortably nurse your baby.

Cynthia Rose, L.Ac.

Gokhale Method Teacher

rozmarinka
rozmarinka's picture
5 years 10 months ago

Thank you for your answer. We will try to follow as much as possible and hopefully we will both find more comfort in nursing and cuddling :) 

GokhaleNY
GokhaleNY's picture
5 years 1 month ago
I nursed my son lying down on my side. He lied next to me. It took some practice to get in the position but I could not nurse him sitting up no matter what I did to make my self comfortable.