fbpx Neck, shoulder and upper back tension & pain | Gokhale Method Institute

Neck, shoulder and upper back tension & pain

MostBlessed1
MostBlessed1's picture
3 years 8 months ago
Neck, shoulder and upper back tension & pain

Hello and good afternoon. Thankful for the chance to sit in on another Gokhale workshop earlier today. Unfortunately, we ran out of time and my qurestion was never addressed.

My wife and have partaken of past presentations, she owns has thoroughly reviewed Esther's book and we each have a Stretchsit cushion we frequently use.  My concerns lie with consistent tension about my upper back & shoulders (where they intersect the neck) I have long had.  My left shoulder, in particular, is constantly tightening up and becoming a source of pain, regardless of how minimal the activity (whether mowing the lawn or simply doing the dishes at home). Even with chiropractic visits and relative stretching exercises, the assistance/effects/relief is short-lived. What recommendations might you make (relative to posture, exercises, products and/or resources) that may aid in providing more long-standing relief to my upper back, shoulders and neck?

Teacher
3 hours 34 min ago

Greetings to you!

I'm glad to hear that you are frequently using the Stretchsit® Cushion. This product, along with postural education, allows for lengthening and strengthening; these are key components fo the Gokhale Method. Additional key components of optimal posture rely on reshaping; the pelvis, feet, and leg orientation are all key ingredients of our posture education courses. If these are not in optimal positions, the upper body (upper back, shoulders, and neck) may go forward despite all of your best efforts of working on the upper body alone.

Our Online Initial Consultation is the best place to start. You'll work one-on-one with a qualified Gokhale Method teacher to pinpoint your specific posture concerns and begin with personalized coaching. Select a teacher from the menu to view availability and book your Online Initial Consultation.

Online offerings (Online IC / Online Follow-up) booking page for students:

https://gokhalemethod.com/online_offerings_ic

All the best,

Kathleen