fbpx Posture Insights | Gokhale Method Institute

Posture Insights

Cullen Smith
Cullen Smith's picture
2 years 8 months ago
Posture Insights

I have had significant back pain a little over a year now, usually in the lower left lumbar area but also mid back as of late. I do a lot of landscaping and cleaning for a living and am at my wit's end, I have tried working through the Gokhale methods book with limited success in the last 6 months or so. Could anyone please give me some insight with these two photos I have? My apologies that they are rather embarassing but am having such bad back pain lately that I really want some relief, I luckily have had some success recently lenghtening my hamstrings to do some hip hinging that doesn't cause any pain.

Thanks!

Cullen

Roger Tan
Roger Tan's picture
2 years 5 months ago

Do you feel as if your behind is behind? Engaging inner corset? Imagine leaning forward, in book she talked about reaching over a high pole

Teacher
1 day 41 min ago

Hi Cullen,

Thank you for your questions and photographs.

Though your pain is mainly in the lumbar area, it is best to work on your posture through your entire body, so do continue to work through all the lessons in 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back—the book contains so much information you will benefit from numerous passes, with more "lightbulb moments" and deeper understanding each time:-)

That said, I think it will be especially useful for you to work on strengthening your glute medius, (pg. 213), learning to stand with a deep, relaxed groin (pg. 139), and to put your weight in your heels. I can't see your lower legs and feet but perhaps your heels are more behind than underneath you, with too much weight in your forefoot?

You have some sway in your upper lumbar/lower thoracic which will benefit from all the lengthening and re-modelling measures in the book, and also from shoulder rolls so that your mid back does not have to tense to counterbalance overly forward weight from the upper body. 

I recommend you consider an Initial Consultation with one of our teachers to analyse additional photographs in detail and give you personalised pointers for working with the Gokhale Method. 

I hope that's of help:-)