fbpx Gokhale chair and back | Gokhale Method Institute

Gokhale chair and back

Becky S
Becky S's picture
2 years 2 months ago
Gokhale chair and back

I was so happy that my Gokhale chair arrived a few days ago.   The back seems a bit straighter or more vertical than other chairs I'm used to.  When I first sit down, it seems fine.   But after a minute or two, it almost feels like I'm beginning to do a backbend.  I think my back is actually straight, but it is not comfortable.  I'm wondering if there is a way I could adjust the chair to be more comfortable.  That would be an easy and desirable answer.    A less desirable response is that this is a sign that I've been slouching for too long and the consequence is that sitting with such a straight back is uncomfortable.   Do you know if there is a way to tell which it might be?

Thanks,

Becky

Abeja Judy Hummel
Abeja Judy Hummel's picture
Teacher
1 week 6 days ago

HI Becky,

It's difficult to "diagnose" the issue without seeing you.  It is very possible that just a little postural adjustment will do the trick.  Have you taken the Foundations or Elements course to learn how to stretchsit properly?  You may want to schedule an online consultation with me or another trained Gokhale Method teacher to help you find the sweet spot.

In the meantime, you may want to try moving your bottom forward a bit in the chair so that you are not arching up over it.   You can also watch the videos on stretchsitting on the website.  Take your time getting your behind fully behind you, and give your body time to adjust to the new position.

Hope that helps!

Abeja Hummel

Gokhale Method Teacher

Becky S
Becky S's picture
2 years 2 months ago

Thanks, Abeja.  My back does feel better when I move my bottom forward a bit.  I did take a three-day intensive class a couple of years ago, but I'm sorry to say I don't remember everything I learned. I'll watch the video and see if things get better over time.   I like the idea of giving my body time to adjust to the new position