fbpx Chair | Gokhale Method Institute

Chair

jfrasier
jfrasier's picture
11 years 11 months ago
Chair

I am trying to do the stretchsitting. I do not have a chair like the one in the pictures. I tried the suggestion to use a rolled up towel, but then I can't really 'hitch' as it just moves down with my spine.

I also have short legs so I am having trouble even finding a chair in my house that I can put my feet on the floor. What about just sitting on the front edge of the chair? Can I get some lengthening that way?

Thanks. I am excited  about working through the book.

Jane

charlenehannibal
charlenehannibal's picture
Teacher
3 years 1 month ago

Hi Jane, 

Here are some tips that might help you: 

1. If you are slipping on the towel, make sure that you aren't wearing multiple layers of clothes nor a slippery top.  Usually one shirt is fine and you can get a good grip.  If the towel itself is sliding, you may want to fasten it with something (a belt/string/tape).

2. If your feet don't touch the floor but you can bend your knees over the edge of the chair with ease (the seatpan is short enough for you, that is) then just put some blocks/books/pillows under your feet so you can touch something.

3. Sitting at the front edge of the chair is absolutely an option, which actually be Stacksitting.  This is lengthening in its own right, but in a different way.  For Stretchsitting however, you want to be able to use the friction of a fixed backrest to get traction.

I hope this helps!

Warmly, 

Charlene Hannibal

Gokhale Method Teacher, Palo Alto/San Francisco