fbpx Shoulder roll with pain | Gokhale Method Institute

Shoulder roll with pain

buttersugar
buttersugar's picture
10 years 10 months ago
Shoulder roll with pain

I have been using the Gokhale method now for a couple of years. Whenever I do a shoulder roll and relax myself into a good postural position, my neck and shoulders hurt. Slouching feels better! :) I have watched Esther do the roll and I am pretty sure I am doing it correctly (DVD and webinar). I have very tight neck/shoulder muscles. Any advice?

charlenehannibal
charlenehannibal's picture
Teacher
3 years 2 months ago

A few things may help.  Working on your pelvic position (pelvic anteversion) is often useful for setting the stage for shoulders than can roll back with ease.  Stacksitting with a wedge can be a good place to start.  Really focus in on whether or not you are holding any unnecessary tension in your shoulders.  They want to be as relaxed as possible after your shoulder roll.

If you are very tight, look into some simple exercises to lengthen your pectoral and trapezius muscles.  The Appendix in 8 Steps is a wonderful place to begin.  

Just as the pelvis sets the stage for your shoulders, your shoulders help to set the stage for your neck and head.  Go gently in the direction of a longer/straighter cervical spine (neck).  When possible elongate your neck in supported and relaxed positions, such as Stretchlying on the back or in a reclined position with a pillow.  Moving the head on top of your spine and letting the chin angle slightly down before you place it on the pillow will offer gentle traction.

I hope this is helpful to you!

Warmly, 

Charlene Hannibal

Gokhale Method Teacher, Palo Alto/San Francisco