fbpx Inflatable corsets, decompression belts, opinions? | Gokhale Method Institute

Inflatable corsets, decompression belts, opinions?

GregMiller
GregMiller's picture
11 years 9 months ago
Inflatable corsets, decompression belts, opinions?

Esther, there's a product called Dr. Ho's Decompression Belt - it's been advertised for years on late night television infomercials. I never took it seriously, until I read your book and the positive things you have to say about certain external corsets. The corsets you mention favorably (on pp. 124-5) provide support and rigidity to the torso, without inhibiting pelvic anteversion. The Dr. Ho belt claims the added advantage of providing decompression to the spine by means of inflatability. 

So the product appears to adhere to the principles in your book; however I would love to hear if you have anything specific to say about it, as I'm inherently suspect of any product advertised primarily (only?) on late-night TV commercials.

Kind regards,
Greg

charlenehannibal
charlenehannibal's picture
Teacher
3 years 2 months ago

Hi Greg,

Without seeing the belt in person (I looked on the website but the pictures didn't seem clear enough to me), I couldn't recommend or not recommend the product.  Generally we like traction, and compression can be great for those who are working up toward a strong Inner Corset.  My biggest concern would be where the belt hits on the back.  On one photo it looked to be in a good spot, but another seemes to cover the sacrum, which would not allow the pelvis to antevert.  Without anteversion, the J-Spine becomes impossible and the L5-S1 disc becomes compromised.  This being said, something that is as light as air and that fits under the clothes sounds enticing.  If you are serious about the belt  and you decide to get one, I'd be happy to look at a picture and let you know from there.

I hope this helps!

Warmly,

Charlene Hannibal

Gokhale Method Teacher, Palo Alto/San Francisco