fbpx How to sit while carving? | Gokhale Method Institute

How to sit while carving?

sieren
sieren's picture
12 years 5 days ago
How to sit while carving?
I am a wood carving artist, and am wondering what would be the most healthy way to sit at my table while carving?  I currently sit on one of those medicine ball chairs (it has legs, its not just a ball) and do my best to stacksit and not hunch my back.  However, I find sometimes that it is hard becuase I tend to want to bend over to see my work better, but if I use a higher table, my shoulders hunch up and forward!  Any pictures of people sitting in a proper position while working on arts and crafts would be appriciated for refrence! :)
Founder
30 min 27 sec ago
You want to hiphinge forward as shown in Chapter 7 in 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back. Your torso moves forward as one piece hinging from your hips. You don't want to curve your back or even your shoulders forward.

I propose that you post some pictures of yourself or other craftspeople and we'll make suggestions for improvement until it looks and feels good - how's that? 
sieren
sieren's picture
12 years 5 days ago
That sounds like a good idea, Esther! :) 

I will try and get some pictures tomorrow afternoon...I've actually been meaning to get some pictures of myself just standing so I can get some tips on my posture in general so I'll post pictures of myself sitting how I do at my carving table, and also standing.  I'm having a hard time figuring out if I am swaying my back {I think I am}, and I think my thorasic area looks a little rounded. 

I have been doing everything from the 8 steps book for the last few months, and I have already noticed a huge difference in my posture and lack of lower back pain.

Talk to you later!  ;