fbpx Heel Landing | Gokhale Method Institute

Heel Landing

bencrvr
bencrvr's picture
10 years 2 weeks ago
Heel Landing
This was touched upon in another thread but I'd like more understanding on when/why to choose different types of foot placement during a glidewalk. Everything about this style of walking has been soaking right in to my movement patterns with a sweet AHA feeling except for the heel strike. It just doesn't feel right. Especially when contrasted with the feel of fox walking, learned from the modern primitive-skills community. When not actually stalking (higher knee lift, hinged body for non-human outline) the ideal fox walk is the same as glidewalking until the end, when you place the 5th metatarsal down first, rolling in to the big toe and down to the heel, just like with intuitive barefoot running. That Harvard video mentioned in the other thread is great, here it is again http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/ In the other thread Esther mentioned the heel strike being natural on soft, predictable surfaces and a midfoot strike being natural on hard surfaces. Seems logical, the landing gets more forefoot-y as the potential for impact increases. I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'd like to know if/how the pattern changes with a fore/mid-foot landing. Thanks very much. Ben
bencrvr
bencrvr's picture
10 years 2 weeks ago
Just needed time with it. The relaxed forward swing was really critical for the heel placement to feel natural and easy, gets it out there in time for softness in the landing. Now I consider glidewalking as my baseline gait, with fox walking being for times when the surface is less predictable (like Esther said in that other thread) and if I happen to be living as a hunter-gatherer at some point in my life and need to stalk up to a deer to survive. For now, it's fun to imagine I'm some sort of woods ranger/protector moving barefoot through the woods with fluid grace. Ben
Founder
5 hours 59 min ago
Yay!
straightedge
straightedge's picture
13 years 9 months ago
When stepping down from a height difference in ongoing gait, subjects are known to use a heel landing at small height differences and switch to toe landing for larger height differences. Its hypothesized that in toe landing, the leading leg can perform more negative work, to control the momentum gained during the descent, than in heel landing.
Founder
5 hours 59 min ago
I agree with this. Do you have a reference for this? I'd love to read studies on the subject. Thanks!