fbpx Glidewalking on Ice | Gokhale Method Institute

Glidewalking on Ice

Susan
Susan's picture
10 years 9 months ago
Glidewalking on Ice
Dear Esther I was picking my way down a flooded icy sidewalk and realized that walking on wet ice was great for engaging the glutes in glidewalking. I was pleased with my discovery until I caught sight of myself in a store window and saw I was bent forward. When I tried to straighten up something pulled at my back from the inside and it swayed (which is weird because I've been told over and over that my back is too flat) I was wondering if tight psoas muscles cause my back to sway?  I had little trouble achieving a nice flat back and an anteverted pelvis while sitting and standing and I can start out glidewalking nicely but now realize that I fall into bending over without noticing and when I try to correct it I feel this pull and my back gets yanked into a sway Am I right, do I need to stretch out the psoas muscle or should I be doing a corset and lengthening before I straighten up...or do you think its something else? Thanks Susan
Maya
Maya's picture
5 years 10 months ago
This definitely sounds like a tight psoas. With each step in glidewalking, the psoas muscle gets a little stretch (you may feel it at the front of the groin when you walk). So you will be stretching it out in Glidewalking. If it's very tight, then it pulls on the front of the lumbar spine and can cause you to sway while standing and/or walking (it's rarely a problem with sitting since the legs are bent). A good stretch to do for a tight psoas is a lunge (pg 210 of the 8 Steps book). Many people feel like Glidewalking feels a bit like ice skating, which requires you to use the gluts to push back against the ice and move your body forward. It sounds like you discovered something in between the two! Maya Instructor, Esther Gokhale Wellness Center
Susan
Susan's picture
10 years 9 months ago
Thank you....if the discomfort  I feel when doing the lunge in any indication, it's the psoas for sure. I've been doing lunges and  trigger point massages and already I am walking with less of a feeling of a pulling on my spine Thanks Susan
joanhitlin
joanhitlin's picture
3 weeks 4 days ago

Because of a bum knee, I can't do lunges.  Do you have any other type exercise to recommend for the psoas?

Thanks, joan

charlenehannibal
charlenehannibal's picture
Teacher
3 years 2 months ago

Hi Joan,

Another great way to stretch the psoas is to  Stretchlie on your back close to the edge of the bed (without arranging yourself too far over that you fall off, of course).  From here, drop one leg to the ground over the edge of the bed (keep scooting your entire body sidesways, so one hip/buttock is off the bed).  Let that foot touch the floor and the weight of the entire leg will most likely give the psoas a gentle stretch. If you are not feeling enough, then you can walk the foot that is touching the ground further back, guiding the knee into a more bent position.  Careful not to sway here and if necessary you may want to come up onto the elbows once more and stretchlie again to get some additional length in the spine.  You can also place your fists on the base of your ribcage to help them to stay at bay.

Let me know if you need more clarification, or if it works for you.  Great question!

Best, ,

Charlene Hannibal, Gokhale Method Instructor, Palo Alto/San Francisco