fbpx Did glide walking for a few miles... | Gokhale Method Institute

Did glide walking for a few miles...

mrbkonline
mrbkonline's picture
6 years 5 months ago
Did glide walking for a few miles...
I did some glide walking a few miles yesterday: What I liked: - I felt I was walking taller - I felt more relaxed What I need some help on... 1- I felt I was "pulling" myself forward - am I engaging my glutes too soon? 2- My knees hurt after a while (the front of the knees in contrast to another post where the back of the knees were hurting).  Could this be related to (1)?  In the other post there was a suggestion to maintain the arches but I'm not really sure what that means? thank you - all these techniques are definitely making a difference
Founder
5 hours 1 min ago
1. Probably not engaging the glutes soon enough or strongly enough. Pulling forward happens with the quads participating excessively, which probably explains 2. The excessive quad engagement causes strain around the front of the knees. Learning to use the arches is hard. I recently had a breakthrough there myself. Arch strength begets arch strength. Start off with some insoles - they will facilitate arch muscle action because they put the muscles in a position of mechanical advantage. Then make a point of grasping the earth to push it backwards (and yourself forward). You can also do some of the supplementary exercises suggested in 8 Steps as a way of reaching threshold strength.
mrbkonline
mrbkonline's picture
6 years 5 months ago
Yes, I think you are right, I felt the quads working. Ok I will try your tips and the suggested exercises, thank you Esther
gumba61
gumba61's picture
12 years 8 months ago
What about going barefoot more to help out arch strength? I have been doing that lately and feel a lot more strength in my feet and awareness of my arches and I am also gaining an ability to flex them.
Founder
5 hours 1 min ago
Yup, conscious barefoot walking on natural surfaces is an excellent way to strengthen your feet muscles.