fbpx Knee Problem | Gokhale Method Institute

Knee Problem

damalada
damalada's picture
8 years 8 months ago
Knee Problem
Recently, the back of my knees ache after a walk.  Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? I know what to do if my knees hurt but not sure what it means when the back of my knees hurt.
Founder
20 hours 20 min ago
Are you locking your back knee at pushoff?
damalada
damalada's picture
8 years 8 months ago
It's possible.  I haven't been paying too much attention and I did go for a run earlier this week and that's when it started.  Although today I've been focusing more and trying to keep my knees soft but it still hurt after my walk.  This could be residual pain from earlier in the week.
Founder
20 hours 20 min ago
I remember from when you visited Palo Alto that the arches in your feet are not pronounced. If you focus on maintaining your arches, this will prevent your knees from hyperextending. Arch supports can help with this, both by preventing the foot from distorting past a certain point (acting like a safety net) and also as a training device to remind the foot muscles to do their work. The way arch supports help keep your knees from hyperextending is that it takes a huge amount of flexibility in your calf muscles to both arch your feet and hyperextend your knees. Since you probably don't have that flexibility, if you arch your feet your knees won't be able to hyperextend your knees. It's a backhanded way of addressing the problem, but you get the bonus of strengthening your foot muscles in the process.
damalada
damalada's picture
8 years 8 months ago
Thanks!  I will focus on my arches and hopefully that will fix it.  Just on a side note, after suffering for 3 years with plantar fasciitis and trying all types of treatment, I was able to run for the first time several weeks ago because I followed your lessons.  Granted it's still a work in progress but there is finally hope for the future, so THANKS!!!
Founder
20 hours 20 min ago
Hooray!