fbpx Shifting weight between the legs | Gokhale Method Institute

Shifting weight between the legs

yonat
yonat's picture
1 year 5 months ago
Shifting weight between the legs
I'm slowly working on glidewalking. It took me ages to really get the "preparing to walk" sequence, especially that tricky step 7 - tightening the buttock, straightening the leg and pressing the heel all in one wave of motion. But after I finally got it and practiced a few "steps" every now and then, it seems that the wave of motion from the buttock down to the heel finds its way to my regular walk. So now I'm trying to move on to the "focusing on the weight-bearing leg" sequence, and I'm having trouble with step 6 (page 182). It seems that many things happen in this step that you don't mention, like the upper body moving forward, the forward legs straightening a little, the hips moving a bit to the side of the forward leg. Is that how it's supposed to go? the first few times I tried this sequence I felt very unstable at this step. I'm still not very comfortable with it, which makes me think I'm probably not doing it right. So my question is: What happens at step 6 of this sequence? What should I pay attention to?
Founder
1 day 2 hours ago
It's true a lot happens, but it doesn't need your attention. Your attention should still be mainly on the back leg and back gluteus muscles - keeping the back gluteus medius muscle engaged longer than usual allows you to lower your front foot to the ground gently rather than with a jolt. About the hips shifting - it is natural for them to swivel a little (as in Latin dancing), but it is a useful to begin learning by trying to keep the hips still along the x,y and z axes through the hips. Congratulations! I applaud your persistence.
yonat
yonat's picture
1 year 5 months ago
I feel I finally got it... So when my left leg is at the peak of its "crescendo" and my right foot touches the ground, I shift my focus to the right leg and start "crescendoing" there. Is that right? I find it easier to do this going uphill, and almost impossible to do going downhill.
Founder
1 day 2 hours ago
You are right on. Uphill puts you in the right position much more easily than downhill. Practice going down stairs to get the downhill form.