fbpx Are Standing Desks Recommended Within the Gokhale Method? | Gokhale Method Institute

Are Standing Desks Recommended Within the Gokhale Method?

chloemasongray
chloemasongray's picture
4 years 2 weeks ago
Are Standing Desks Recommended Within the Gokhale Method?

Hi there,

I have the opportunity to purchase a standing desk at a great price, and I'd like to know whether or not the Gockhale Method recommends standing desks or prefers that people sit while working. I don't want to buy something only to find out that it doesn't go along with the method.

Thanks!

Norm Brekke
Norm Brekke's picture
Teacher
6 years 3 months ago

This is an excellent question, and one that we hear often. Standing desks can be a great option while working, but the issue is not solely with standing or sitting. In either case we promote the benefits of healthy sitting or standing. In Lesson One of the Gokhale Methods Foundation course we introduce you to Stretchsitting, a simple yet powerful way to sit comfortably while providing a healthy stretch to your spine as you lengthen it.  Tallstanding, which we teach in Lesson Three, allows you to stand for long periods of time in a healthy manner with proper anteversion of the pelvis and stacking of the spine.  We encourage you to study "8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back," and to consider our DVD for more visual learners.  We also offer the Gokhale Method Foundations course for more in-depth and personalized attention.

Norm Brekke, Gokhale Method Teacher -- Minneapolis, MN