fbpx What should buttocks muscles do while standing? | Gokhale Method Institute

What should buttocks muscles do while standing?

wilhelmk
wilhelmk's picture
5 months 1 week ago
What should buttocks muscles do while standing?

I've had physical therapists tell me that I should "engage" my butt muscles while I'm standing. I haven't exactly figured out what they really mean, but to me, if I "contract" these muscles, I feel like it tends to tuck my pelvis. On the other hand, the picture of the two men in the book (sorry, can't recall the caption on the photo) sure makes it look like their butt muscles are engaged / "tight". Can anyone comment on what the butt muscles should be doing while standing?

Thanks.

postureguy
postureguy's picture
9 years 10 months ago

I think if you hinge very slightly forward at the hip, it will engage your butt muscle. Slightly externally rotated thighs will engage the glut medius (the muscle they are actually referring to during walking--that's the critical one. I think that pinching the butt cheeks together does not generally activate the glut medius; and results (must result) in tucking of the pelvis, which is wrong. just go back to the standing lesson and carefully note the slight forward hinge at the hip (i forget what step it is). That's the rub!