fbpx Stretch Sitting AND Hamstring Stretch | Gokhale Method Institute

Stretch Sitting AND Hamstring Stretch

proprioceptivel...
proprioceptivelycuriouschris's picture
6 years 9 months ago
Stretch Sitting AND Hamstring Stretch

Hi y'all, I'm loving the Gokhale Method! I have known for a quite a while that my hamstrings and probably also my hip flexors are super super tight. I'm wondering if there is a way to modify the stretch sitting so that I'm not only getting a stretch in my back, but my hamstrings too? 

I'm trying to sit on the floor with a wedge to tilt my pelvis have my back streetched against the front of the couch and then also have one of my legs out in front of me to get a passive, comfortable/slight stretch on the hamstrings while I sit throughout the day. I'm experimenting with using my arms to hoist myself, tilt my pelvis until I feel a slight stretch in the hamstrings and then settle into that position to feel a continuous stretch on them. I would really love to get as flexible as the photos showing hip hinging!

Any suggestions/thoughts on any other ways I could stretch the hamstrings in combination with the sitting I'm already doing throughout the day? I'm finding between exercising, somatics, stretching, mobility work, trying to fit cardio in, etc. I could easily spend all day just setting aside time to stretch or strengthen something lol so any suggestions that work passively while seated would be awesome!

Cecily Frederick
Cecily Frederick's picture
Teacher
2 years 12 months ago

I personally like the position that you mention (stretch-sitting with the aid of the front of the couch, sitting on the floor with one or both legs extended).  This will help the hamstrings to lengthen in a passive way.  A couple of things: 

1. It isn't necessary to sit on a wedge when you are stretch-sitting.  If it ends up being more comfortable for you go ahead with it.  At some point your well developed glutes might serve as your built-in wedge.

2. Another good way to stretch the hamstrings without adding an additional exercise is to bend well, using the hip-hinge method. 

Sounds like you are on the right track.  Good luck to you!

Cecily Frederick

Gokhale Method Teacher, Madison, WI