fbpx How do I know if my pelvis is in neutral? | Gokhale Method Institute

How do I know if my pelvis is in neutral?

ace9224
ace9224's picture
4 years 11 months ago
How do I know if my pelvis is in neutral?

Hi I have been reading the 8 steps to a pain free back, and i've been having trouble figuring out when my pelvis is in neutral. How do I know if its in neutral? Also, After I align my pelvis in neutral will I have to adjust my lower back to be upright? or do I just perform a rib anchor to eliminate the sway? The book mentions rib anchor to eliminate sway but never mentions how to get rid of a hunch. 

Teacher
2 hours 33 min ago

Hello!  Thanks for reaching out and sharing your questions with us.  Finding the proper position for the pelvis is a bit tricky in the beginning, because it is tempting to stick one's bottom out to achieve a curve low down at L5-S1, the one place in the spine where we need some healthy curve.  A better way to let the pelvis settle forward (we call it "anteverted" or tilted) is to imagine that the pelvis is a bowl and that we want the water running out the front. Relaxing the lower abdomen muscles (rectus abdominus) will allow the pelvis to "drop" forward more easily. (In our Foundation course, we teach several ways to regain a healthy pelvic position, and you might consider taking a course with one of our teachers.)  And yes, once your pelvis is in the right position, you will want to perform a rib anchor to eliminate any sway.  By "hunch", I believe you are referring to the shoulders?  Doing a shoulder roll, one side at a time, will solve that problem.  Don't forget to align the head over the shoulders!  

ace9224
ace9224's picture
4 years 11 months ago

Hello thanks for the reply!

I have another question, is it possible to over antevert the pelvis? Also If someone has lordosis wouldnt a rib anchor solve this issue?